Welcome to A. van Wees - Traditional Dutch Restaurant in Amsterdam
Discover the rich and hearty flavors of Dutch cuisine right in the heart of Amsterdam at Proeflokaal A. van Wees. Our traditional Dutch Restaurant not only specializes in Amsterdam dishes & drinks but also showcases the best that the Netherlands has to offer, which makes it a hotspot for locals & expats, as well as a good place for visitors of our beautiful city who are eager to explore Dutch gastronomy. We warmly invite you to indulge in our menu!
Discover the flavors of Dutch food with our menu
At Proeflokaal A. van Wees, we pride ourselves on serving a mixture of traditional Dutch recipes that have been passed down through generations. Furthermore, we also incorporate more modern takes on these timeless recipes. Our diverse menu indeed features a variety of dishes suitable for both lunch & dinner. For instance, dishes on the menu of our Dutch Restaurant in Amsterdam include:
- Dutch Cheese Fondue: Made exclusively with four premium local cheeses, our fondue offers a creamy and rich taste sensation.
- Zeeuwse Mussels: the best Mussels come from the Dutch province Zeeland, in the south-west of the Netherlands. In our restaurant we serve a classic pot of mussels, cooked to perfection in a spicy tomato broth.
- Beef Stew and Fries: A slow-cooked beef stew is a true classic in the Dutch cuisine, accompanied by crispy golden fries made from potatoes that grow in the area around Amsterdam.
- Dutch Pea Soup: Warm up with our hearty, traditional pea soup.
- Bitterballen: our famous Dutch snack can’t be missed when you visit our restaurant!
- Kroketten: The big brother of the bitterbal, available in shrimp, vegan and meat.
- Chicken Satay: a true Dutch pub should have this Indionesian specialty on it’s menu!
- Seafood platter: Feast on the best that the Northsea has to offer.
- Amsterdam Steak Tartare: Experience the unique taste of our steak tartare, prepared with traditional Amsterdam osseworst.
- Advocaat Cheesecake: Complete your meal with our smooth and creamy cheesecake, made with house-distilled advocaat.
RESERVE A TABLE AT OUR TRADITIONAL DUTCH RESTAURANT
Use the module at the bottom of the website to make a reservation for a traditional Dutch lunch, dinner, or a tasting in our tasting room. However, we would like to emphasize that you are always welcome to walk in without a reservation. With a little patience, we will always have a spot available for you!
Try our own distilled Dutch Beverages
In our Dutch restaurant located in Amsterdam, firstly, we offer a wide selection of beverages that perfectly complement our dishes. Then, choose from an extensive range of Dutch beers on tap, which not only includes popular brands but also features local microbrews. Lastly, our in-house distillery produces a variety of traditional jenevers and liqueurs, truly capturing the essence of Dutch spirits.
Our Local HOTSPOT in the Media
Want to find what makes our restaurant a true hotspot for locals & expats in Amsterdam? Have a look at one of the many media posts about our traditional Dutch restaurant!
Not convinced yet? See why over 750 guests rate us with 4.5+ stars on our Google Page!
ABOUT OUR DUTCH TRADITIONAL RESTAURANT
We are the tasting house of the Amsterdam based distillery A. van Wees ‘De Ooievaar’ anno 1782, conveniently located at the Herengracht 319 in Amsterdam city center. You are welcome at our tasting house every day from 11.00 AM for drinks, tastings or some great local food.
Moreover, we serve over 17 types of genevers (Dutch gin), more than 50 liqueurs, and several other hard liquors from our own distillery. Our experienced Amsterdam bartenders eagerly love to tell you more about the history of our drinks and our distillery. Additionally, next to our genevers, we serve over 20 local beers for a real Dutch experience, the Headbutt, which is the custom of drinking a genever with your beer.
In our Dutch food menu you will find a lot of items that are typical for a Dutch Restaurant in Amsterdam, like our famous Dutch Cheese Fondue, a Chicken Satay and some great burgers ans steaks. Also, we cherish working with specialized local suppliers such as Wild van Wild en De Kaaskamer, and occasionally you can find seasonal products on our menu from time to time.
On a good day, you can enjoy the sun till late at night at our cozy terrace. From there, you have a stunning view over the Herengracht, one of Amsterdam’s most famous canals. You can even reach our tasting house by boat!